Unique Kitten Facts
Looking for kitten facts? Well, look no more. Here are some quirky feline facts.
- Kittens hate dirty litter boxes and will often refuse to use a filthy box.
- Most kittens develop 26 deciduous (baby) teeth: 6 incisors, 2 canine, and 5 premolars.
- A newborn kitten’s heartbeats about 200-300 beats per minute.
- White kittens with blue eyes are prone to congenital blindness.
- Kittens are born with three blood types: AB, A, and B.
- Maternal deficiencies in copper and taurine can cause low birth weight in kittens.
Photo by Sirtrentalot @ flickr.com
- Nasal congestion can cause kittens to refuse to eat.
- Almost all kittens are born with blue eyes except Korats.
- Kitten eyes are reflective at night due to the cell layer called the tapetum lucidum.
- Kittens purr when they’re happy, sad, hurt…
- The Jacobson’s Organ located in a kittens’ nose helps them detect pheromones.
- Kitten fleas can’t survive in altitudes greater than 5,000 ft.
- Kittens can only have sweat glands in the pads of their feet.
- The number of bones in a kitten’s body depends upon its breed.
- Kittens should never be given Tylenol.
- Newborn kittens take about 15-30 breaths per minute.
- Kittens can become severely anemic by eating onions or garlic.
- Ingesting small amounts of poinsettia plant is not poisonous to kittens.
- Kittens think in 3D: they love to climb high points.
- Yeast dough can ferment and turn to alcohol (ethanol) in a kitten’s stomach.
- Calivirus & Herpesvirus cause more than 90% of upper respiratory infections (URI) in kittens.
- Kittens fed solely pop-top canned food have an increased risk of developing hyperthyroidism.
- It is probable that kittens cannot detect sweet-tasting substances.
- About 1/3 of Maine Coon kittens carry the gene for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
More Kitten Facts...
- Domestic kittens have 38 chromosomes.
- Male kittens can produce sperm as early as 6 months of age.
- Female kittens can go into their first heat as early as 5 or 6 months of age.
- One feline year of life is equal to 15 or 16 human years.
- Yes, kittens do dream while asleep!
- Classical music is very soothing to kittens.
- Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in kittens.
- Type A blood is present in greater than 90% of kittens.
- Kittens lack the salivary enzyme (amylase) required to breakdown carbohydrates.
- Kittens can tolerate baths after 3 months of age.
- When kittens are exposure to increased amounts of sunlight, they shed more fur.
- The best time to adopt a kitten is around 12 weeks of age.
- Oral antifungal medications given to pregnant cats can cause severe birth defects in kittens.
- Without added warmth, a newborn kitten’s body temperature ranges from 95°F to 99°F (35°C to 37.2°C).
- Kittens have roughly 473 taste buds. Humans have 9,000.
- A kitten sleeps roughly 12 hours per day.
- A kitten’s range of hearing is from 45hz to 64,000hz. Human range of hearing is 20hz to 20,000hz.
- Cat gestation ranges from 60-68 days.
- At birth, a healthy newborn kitten weighs between 2 to 4 ounces.
- Kittens can be affected by cat and dog fleas.
- It is believed that kittens are farsighted. However, they have excellent peripheral vision.
- In the Northern Hemisphere, the feline mating season is from March through September. In the Southern Hemisphere, the season is from October through March.
- Depending upon the breed, there are typically 4 to 6 kittens in a single litter.
CommentsHave your say about what you just read!
Leave me a comment in the box below.